Civic Engagement Diploma Seal Requirements
- Satisfy the Social Studies requirements to earn a HS diploma
- Take and pass the American Government Basic Skills Test
- Complete 50 hours of voluntary participation in community service or extracurricular activities during the student’s high school career (participation can be counted starting the summer prior to 9th grade).
- Of the required service hours, a minimum of 15 hours must be obtained participating in civic engagement activities.
- Additional volunteer hours may be obtained through participation in charitable or service based organizations or school sponsored extracurricular activities.
- Beginning the 2018-2019 School year, all students can count previous volunteer experiences and civic engagement participation accumulated from their 9th to 12th grade years to meet service hour eligibility requirements.
NOTE: Any student who enlists the United States Military prior to graduation will be deemed to meet Criteria 3.
- CAPSTONE PORTFOLIO PRESENTATION- Students must present a capstone portfolio on the knowledge gained in social studies and/or civics/government related courses and activities listed above.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO JOIN?
Those students meeting the qualifications to receive the Civic Engagement Diploma seal endorsement are also eligible to join the Georgia Civic Engagement Honor Society.
Students who join the honor society receive:
- membership certificate
- red, white, and blue graduation honor cords
- a lapel pin bearing the seal of the honor society
- names listed on the Georgia Civic Engagement Honor Society directory
HOW DO I JOIN?
To join, simply submit an online application form certifying they meet the criteria and pay a one-time membership fee*. The online application can be found at www.georgiacivics.org/honor and click on the tab that says "Honor Society Membership Form."
*Membership fee for public school students is $25.00 and for students of Georgia Independent School Association member schools is $30.00
WHO ADMINISTERS THE HONOR SOCIETY?
While the Civic Engagement Diploma Seal program is administered by the Georgia Department of Education, the Honor Society itself is a program of the Georgia Center for Civic Engagement, a non-partisan nonprofit whose mission is to educate and equip students to become productive citizens.
I HAVE JOINED THE HONOR SOCIETY, WHEN SHOULD I EXPECT TO RECEIVE MY ITEMS?
Your membership items will be mailed to the address provided on your application beginning the last week of April. You will receive an email to the email provided on your application confirming shipment of your items.
The link below will take you to our student self-service portal where you can enter your community service hours and other civic engagement activity along with supporting documentation.
Link coming soon